Header Top

Utah: 435-688-8991 | Nevada: 702-896-0031
Utah: 435-688-8991 Nevada: 702-896-0031

Doctors Of Audiology Offer More When It Comes To Diagnosis and Treating Hearing Loss


Going to an audiologist is the best thing you can do to treat your hearing loss. From greater depths of knowledge to specialized care, an audiologist can do more to help you deal with your hearing loss than other medical professionals.

General Practitioners and Hearing Loss

While your primary physician might be the first professional to determine you have hearing loss, they are not able to offer solutions available to a doctor of audiology and likely will refer you to a hearing specialist.

If you believe you are suffering from hearing loss but want to be sure, going to your primary care physician is a good idea. They can perform basic hearing tests and confirm your suspicions.

So while they may be able to confirm you have lost a certain amount of hearing, they do not have the specialized tools and training to help you recover from your hearing loss.

ENT vs Audiologist

A general practitioner will usually refer you to a hearing specialist to help you deal with your hearing loss of which there are two options: ENT professional and audiologist.

An ears, nose, throat (ENT) specialist is a medical doctor who focuses on the overall health of a patient’s ears, nose and throat. They specialize in how the the linked systems affect each other and are better for addressing sudden cases of hearing loss, as those cases are usually linked to trauma and disease.

If the hearing loss isn’t due to trauma or disease, an ENT will likely turn a patient over to an audiologist. Audiologists have specialized training specifically in all things related to hearing loss, from prevention, balance, biology, and solutions after hearing loss has happened. ENT generally do not have this training.

Audiologist vs Hearing Instrument Specialist

When you have identified your need for hearing aids, you have the options to go to either an audiologist or a hearing instrument specialist.

The key difference between the two are their levels of specialization.

  • Amount of training – An audiologist has a masters or doctorate degree in the field of audiology (6-8 years of schooling) while a hearing instrument specialist is usually trained on the job. The instrument specialist’s ability to help is greatly dependent on how good their trainer was, while audiologists have to conform to high industry standards to receive their license to practice.
  • Who they serve – A hearing instrument specialist is generally only trained to work with adults who have no other disability aside from hearing loss. An audiologist has the training to work with infants with hearing loss, teens, adults, and also the mentally disabled who suffer from hearing impairment.
  • Where they focus – Audiologist are trained to address hearing as the multilayered, complex issues that it is for the patient. A hearing instrument specialist is trained to give a hearing exam with the end goal of fitting the patient with one or two hearing aids.

If you want focus on all issues related to hearing, then you will head to your audiologist and be secure knowing you are receiving quality care for all your ear-related problems.

Speak Your Mind