Header Top

Utah: 435-688-8991 | Nevada: 702-896-0031
Utah: 435-688-8991 Nevada: 702-896-0031

What Difference A Doctor Of Audiology Offers To Your Hearing Loss Treatments

Losing your hearing is never fun. It badly impacts your life, making day to day tasks harder, and sometimes eliminating parts of your life entirely. The good news is that you have someone in your corner who is there to help.

A doctor of audiology can help you get your life back.

what_difference_a_doctor_of_audiology_offers_to_your_hearing_loss_treatmentsIs an Audiologist an ENT?

An ENT is an Ear, Nose and Throat doctor. While they have expertise in hearing conditions, their practice is a more generalized one. Quite often then will send their patients on to a more direct specialist, called an audiologist.

This kind of expert has finished a doctorate in audiology.Their entire education has been based around learning about the ears, and the delicate balance of the different chambers, and how they affect hearing. This level of experience sets an audiologist from an ENT, and makes them a valuable asset in your journey to improve your hearing.

The best way to think about it is that an ENT is a doctor of medicine. An audiologist is a doctor of hearing. So while your ENT would be great at treating your ear infection, your audiologist is better equipped for treating your hearing loss.

How Can An Audiologist Help You?

There are four primary functions of a doctor of audiology:

  • Doing preliminary exams to ascertain is any permanent damage has been done to the inner ear.
  • Helping you to find the perfect hearing aid, and fitting it properly to your ear.
  • Treating chronic conditions such as tinnitus, and vertigo and other balance disorders caused by inner ear problems.
  • Program management for those who need speech or hearing rehabilitation.

As you can see, this is a much more involved process than an ENT, which will deal with more temporary issues. If you were to have an ear infection, or a break in your eardrum, your ENT could help you to heal. But any hearing loss associated with those conditions would have to be handled by an audiologist.

Hearing Instrument Specialists

There is one other kind of specialist, and that is a hearing instrument specialist. This is someone who deals with equipment used to hear, and they are not doctors. Instead they work with audiologists to help with fitting hearing aids, adjusting settings, and finding other equipment that may help (such as amplifiers).

In the end, your ENT, audiologist and hearing instrument specialist make up a team dedicated to help you hear again. To find out more, visit HearingDoctors.net.

Speak Your Mind