Header Top

Utah: 435-688-8991 | Nevada: 702-896-0031
Utah: 435-688-8991 Nevada: 702-896-0031

What is a Doctor of Audiology?

At Hearing & Balance Doctors, we employ only Doctors of Audiology. It is one thing that makes our clinic great and sets us apart from other clinics in the region. People sometimes ask us, “What is a Doctor of Audiology?” A Doctor of Audiology is professional with a clinical doctorate similar to an optometrist or a dentist that specializes in diagnosing and treating disorders of hearing and balance. In order to become a Doctor of Audiology, one typically majors in the hearing sciences as an undergraduate in college. After obtaining a 4-year undergraduate degree, the audiology student attends a 4-year doctoral program. This doctoral training includes extensive clinical training under professional supervision and a yearlong residency/internship. It also involves rigorous scholastic training and research. Upon graduating, the student receives a Doctor of Audiology degree, abbreviated Au.D.

joshs-graduation-rAudiology is a relatively new profession. It has its origins in treating soldiers with noise-induced hearing loss after World War II. For many years, audiologists receivedMasters-level training (4 years of undergraduate work and a 2 year Master’s program). In the late 1990s, a few schools began transitioning to a 4-year doctoral program. In 2007, all audiologists were required to have a doctoral degree to enter the field. Audiologists with Master’s degrees were allowed to continue to practice with their Master’s degree or to receive additional training and upgrade to an Au.D.

In addition to Doctors of Audiology and Masters-level audiologists, there are other professionals that deal with hearing aids. Hearingryan-graduation-r Instrument Specialists are individuals that sell hearing aids at hearing aid shops or dispensaries. The level of clinical competence can vary greatly with Hearing Instrument Specialists. They are not qualified to assess or treat dizziness or tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and they are not doctors (although they often portray themselves as such). The qualifications necessary to become a Hearing Instrument Specialist (and to sell a hearing aid) also vary from state to state. In many states, the requirements include a high school diploma (or equivalent), a certain number of hours of clinical observation, and passing a hearing aid dispensing examination.

At Hearing and Balance Doctors, we pride ourselves in providing the highest quality of care to our patients. As part of that commitment, we employ only the most highly trained professionals to diagnose and treat hearing and balance disorders: Doctors of Audiology. Come meet with our doctors today and experience the difference!


Speak Your Mind